So last year I started off 2013 with a list of 13 things I wanted to work on over the year. If I do say so myself, I did a pretty good job of at least making movements in the right direction with most of these line items. (To enjoy an entire blog post of Dr. Trot patting herself on the back, see how went the 13 in 2013.) With this great success in mind, the only reasonable thing to do this year is tackle 14 for 2014… (How clever of an idea will I think this is in 2030?)
- Workout 4 days/week
- Follow a workout plan that combines running (distance, speed and recovery), strength training (core emphasis) and cross training
- 1/2 marathon PR
- < 4hr marathon
- Postdoc paper #1
- Read at least 1 paper a day (+ actually think, take notes, etc… while doing so)
- Develop (think, read, write, etc… about and actually have the ability to implement) 2 reasonably competitive junior faculty candidate research ideas
- Get a postdoc fellowship (preferably that godforsaken F32 I made a first attempt at in November, but if something else comes falling out of the sky and lands in my lap I’m not going to be super picky)
- Be a non-promiscuous, healthy vegetarian again (i.e. eat loads and loads of fresh fruits and veggies, no (read: exceedingly rare) cheating on tartar, sushi and bone marrow) + drink enough water
Drink beerRead and knit more…together…
(~1 book/month…come on, there’s a lot going on here people, and Dr. Trot is a damn slow reader) and get a reasonable start on our children’s book series (it’s the second day of the year and I’m already behind on this one :-/)
- Maximize the use of my electronics: iPad, iPod, cell phone, GPS watch and computer. All of them.
- Keep in better communication with my elders, particularly those that I can make fun of for being cheese heads. Although, considering that my pathetic excuse for a football team has stunk up the season and is still getting some very sweet new digs, this might not be in my best interest after all…
- Become a reasonably good potter…for a chemical engineer… (be able to reproducibly throw (not on the floor, although I’m sure I could become very good at this as well…with probably a hell of a lot less practice) bowls, cups, vases, etc… and larger items that need to be assembled off of the wheel)
- Break even $$ over 2013-2014 (i.e. stop single-handedly keeping the dysfunctional airline industry afloat
Ok, that’s 14 semi-reasonable resolutions/goals (whatever floats your boat) for Dr. Trot’s next year. What are yours?
Good luck to us and Happy New Year!