There are few better ways to spend a Saturday night than making and
inhaling politely eating home-made mac & cheese and playing board games. Since I know everyone is dying to be that cool too, here’s how you do it–
Mac and Cheese
- 2 T butter
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 2 T flour
- 2 C milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) package elbow macaroni
- 2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz) package processed American cheese, cut into strips
- Veggies of your choice (our favorites are: a handful of sliced mushrooms and a handful of spinach sauteed with onion and garlic, and then a handful of peas and 2 chopped tomatoes)
- Meat of your choice (by popular demand we put meatballs in this one)
- 1/2 C bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 F
Cut and saute veggies of your choice. (Note: some veggies are best put in raw — tomatoes and peas are better this way.)
Cook/warm meat of your choice.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion for 2 minutes, stir in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, salt, mustard and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens.
Boil macaroni and drain.
To the milk mixture, add the Cheddar and American cheeses and stir until cheese melts. Combine macaroni, cheese sauce, veggies and meat. Mix well.
Pour mixture into a 2 quart baking dish.
Sprinkle top with bread crumbs.
Bake in preheated oven for 40 min (covered) and then 15 min uncovered to crisp top.
Remove and let set 10 min before serving.
I however was unfortunately very beatable. 😦 Maroof and Alex were merciless!
What are your favorite board games?
What are your favorite comfort foods?